WHO WE ARE
Moorhead Legacy Education Foundation is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to the continued excellence of the educational experience for all students and graduates of Moorhead Area Public Schools ISD 152.
MLEF is a newly merged entity between Moorhead Schools Legacy Foundation (founded in 2015) and Moorhead Area Education Foundation (founded in 1990). Since 1991, MAEF's Spud Scholars has awarded over $1.9 Million to 1,800 Moorhead High graduates. Both MLEF and MAEF have awarded annual Spud Impact teacher grants totaling $3,000 - $8,000 each year. And MSLF has made great strides in providing milk and snack break for elementary students in the district by raising funds for their Food For Thought program. MSLF has also procured funds and historical memorabilia for Spud History, while engaging with alumni and reunion organizers. Together as MLEF, we will strive to impact past, present and future students of the district.
Our goal is to support and enhance the ever-changing needs of students, programs and facilities to shape the future of our school district, and the future of Moorhead High graduates in the form of scholarships to make an impact on their lifelong learning. Supporters like you will make it happen.
Moorhead Legacy Education Foundation provides support for the needs of students in the district through several areas and endowments.
- Greatest Needs This Year: Donors like you provide a permanent investment in Moorhead Area Public Schools. The needs of our schools will always be changing, and unrestricted funds provide maximum flexibility to support these needs. Our board of directors continually review the needs of our schools and ensure that resources will be invested wisely over time. We use the resources for maximum charitable impact every year — forever. Join The 152 Club today to help with today's greatest needs.
- Spud Scholars: Scholarships for Moorhead graduates and Post-Secondary Scholarships are awarded every year in the spring. These funds are awarded to students based on criteria established by the board of directors. The criteria includes academic performance, school and community activities, work experience, career goals, references and the student's personal situation. Current seniors can find the link to the online and paper applications in SPUDS Landing. For post-secondary students, please print and fill out the Post-secondary Scholarship Application.
- Spud Impact Teacher Grants and Gifts toward Academics, Activities, Arts, and Athletics: Each year, the Legacy Foundation awards grants to Moorhead Area Public Schools educators, with special consideration for the main areas of Academics, Activities, Arts and Athletics. If you are an educator interested in applying, we post applications each fall. The 2019 deadline has now passed - successful grants were announced in December and awarded in January of 2020. This year, MLEF awarded fifteen grants totaling $9,600 to teachers in the Moorhead School District to be used for innovative projects and programs. Read more about these grant awards.
- Food For Thought: Moorhead Legacy Education Foundation's Food For Thought campaign is part of Giving Hearts Day, co-hosted by Dakota Medical Foundation, Impact Institute and Alex Stern Family Foundation. MLEF wants students in Moorhead Area Public Schools to receive milk/snack break and meals when their families are struggling to make ends meet. Contributions to the Food For Thought program fund this effort. Visit our Events page for this year's campaign info, or visit www.givingheartsday.org.
- Endowment: The Moorhead Legacy Education Foundation Impact Fund supports educational initiatives that require ongoing funding. A stable, permanent source of income, the endowed fund allows the foundation to support scholarships, building/classroom enhancements, and long-term, district-wide needs and visionary programming. Contact us for more information about our endowment with FM Area Education Foundation.
- Spud History and the History Wall: The lobby of Horizon Middle School's Performing Arts Center is home to a 50-foot long historical timeline of Moorhead Area Public Schools. The project was a joint venture between the school district and the Legacy Foundation. Memorabilia is on display, along with a touch-screen database containing scanned yearbooks, news articles and more. You can donate toward the on-going maintenance and up-keep of Spud History with a donation to the general fund. Follow our facebook page for historical facts and stories about Moorhead Schools.
- Two Moorhead foundations merge to better serve students and Moorhead Area Public Schools
- Giving Hearts Day campaign to fund milk and snack for K-4 students
- Alex Stern Family Foundation grant supports Food For Thought
- SpudTacular Gala returns for second year
- Local MOMS Club donates to Legacy Foundation
- Legacy Foundation’s Giving Hearts Day campaign to fund milk and snack for students
- Legacy Foundation receives Pay It Forward donation
- Legacy Foundation receives Alex Stern Family Foundation grant
- Legacy Foundation sponsors successful first gala
- Legacy Foundation receives $1,500 Walmart grant
- Legacy Foundations supports milk/snack for students in need
- Legacy Foundation to present first gift to district
- MHS Class of 1966 challenges other classes to match contribution to Legacy Foundation
- Read our 2017-18 annual report